Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Seed Bag Curtains

DISCLAIMER:   I am NOT a good seamstress - I lack patience and a lot of the time I also lack desire.  I view sewing as a necessary evil.

Having warned all of you . . . .

I found an old seed bag at a local flea market on my lunch hour - I knew exactly what this would become as soon as I saw it.   New kitchen curtains!  The seed bag is at least semi-local since it says "Kansas Grown Hybrid Seed Corn". 




After a good washing I was ready to begin.   First I had to decide if I wanted a full length curtain or a half curtain, I decided to go with the half.  Next I measured the window and realized that my window is wider than I though.  I have some feed sacks that are a bit lighter in color but I think they will work.   I had to add 14" of fabric to have be wide enough and for seam allowance.

After cutting it to size I pinned the seed bag and feed sacks together.  And got out my sewing machine.  Insert a few bad words here - as I said I'm not a very good seamstress :(   Then I pinned for the hems and cursed sewed some more.

After the hems were done, I measured and pinned for the rod pocket, I decided to use a simple cafe rod just to make it easier on myself.  A few more bad words (sorry) and one very nosy cat later and I was able to put that silly sewing machine away! In the five minutes it took me to put the sewing machine away and get back to the kitchen, Grover had already made himself a little place to rest. 




The result - $5 curtains for the window above my kitchen sink.  At least I know Grover likes it. 




UPDATE:  Yeah an update after just one day.  Mr. Manly Man is not such a fan.   I did a slight alteration so he can actually open the curtain.   I simply cut the curtain in two and did a quick hem (curse him for making me sew again!)  Please pretend my windows are nice and sparkly - I'm a busy mom, I need to clean.  I'll let you know what he thinks of this change.









34 comments:

  1. This is a really cheap idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that your cat sits there! :) They look great and even though you had to sew again, they look nice with two panels! Thanks for linking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to laugh seeing Mr. Man in the kitchen window!! cats, ya gotta love'em! Your curtains turned out great, and I agree, sewing is NOT my passion. Thanks for the inspiration and joining in on the party!! xo Debra

    ReplyDelete
  4. Visiting from Common Ground...gotta say that I love this idea! The kitty is a nice touch!


    MJ
    Lucky 7 Design

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is that! I just posted too and said the same thing (I'm not a seamstress---). I love your project--turned out really sweet. Thanks for sharing. Patty

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your disclaimer, and the curtain is adorable, Celeste, victoriantailor.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. super cute idea!! I'm coming to you from 504 main. I'm happy to be your newest follower. Please stop by for book club or blog design if you're interested--connie, measuredbytheheart.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cute idea! I think it looks great now that you can open 'em too. :) I love all the wood in your kitchen, how lovely! Cute kitty too.\

    Tnx for linking up at Who Made What? Weekends!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the idea and it looks wonderful. Thanks for linking up to Treasure Hunt Thursday.
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh well done! They look fantastic! I just love grainsacks made into homewares! X

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cute curtains! I love seed bags! I'm so glad you linked this up at the Tuesday To Do Party! I can't wait to see what you share next time!
    Smiles!!!
    Jami
    PS. The Pretty Packages Party is going on now.

    http://blackberryvine.blogspot.com/2011/04/pretty-packages-party-9.html

    I'd love for you to stop by!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those curtains are totally cute! Love the pic of the cat hanging out underneath them, hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your curtains and you cat! Thank you for sharing it on Masterpiece Monday. Have a great week! Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Those are the cutest! So country and rustic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. love these they are adorable look like true vintage country finish

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great idea...and so (sew) cute!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great vintage look! Love them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very good idea.........
    I love it!! Very, very cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You did a great job! Love the open pic best. You now they now make a thing called Stitch Witch..something like that...anyway you do all things you did, except no sewing machine! Just iron the seams and hems. You can get it at JoAnns, Wal-Mart....I use it for teeny tiney doll accesories where the sewing machine and I have arguments about my fingers.
    I'm new to Three or More Tues. So glad I found your blog! Hope you stop by soon

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a fantastic idea! They turned out great!
    I would love if you came over and linked this project to my weekly Round Tuit party at:
    http://jembellish.blogspot.com/
    Have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this idea.
    Thanks for sharing.
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great idea and they look so cute! I can't sew at all so I think this is amazing!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi,

    I featured this very creative and cute project over at
    http://allthumbscrafts.blogspot.com/2011/05/link-party-features-7.html

    Thanks so much for linking up to the Sunburnt Cow party last week. Now I'm on the look out for some seed bags like this!

    Cheers,
    Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your curtains are cute! :)

    Linking this up with us made the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop better and more special. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  25. very cute, very resourceful. Thank you for linking up with us for the Frugal Tuesday Tip. If you are new to sewing, you might want to enter my sewing giveaway! juliecache http://juliecache.com/2011/05/01/sewing-party-giveaway/.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great idea! Thanks for linking up at I Made It! Monday at Ninth Street Notions. Can't wait to see what you have this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Over here from Type A. What a clever idea! So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great recycling idea! Thanks so much for linking it up! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cool idea - glad the cat enjoys them :) And thanks for the honesty, I sometimes forget about the sewers who swear every time the machine comes out, lol! Thanks for linking up to Eat, Grow, Sew!

    ReplyDelete
  30. the curtain look so fantastic....turned out beautiful..I like it.

    Roman shades concord, ca

    ReplyDelete