Friday, July 1, 2011

Easy Homemade Donuts

When I was a kid, mom used to make us homemade donuts on the weekends. I now do this once in a great while, it’s quick and easy, plus there is no place in my small town to get donuts. 

I start with a tube or two of buttermilk biscuits.  Regular size, el cheap o biscuits, I think these were $ .85 a tube. 



I started by heating just under 3” of vegetable oil in a large pan.  I don’t use a thermometer but I just heat it over medium and use a donut hole to test if the oil is hot enough.  If it floats and bubbles the oil is ready. 
While the oil heats, I use an apple corer to make the hole in the donuts.




When the oil is hot, fry the donuts 3 or four at a time.   Stagger putting them into the oil by 30 seconds or so.  When one side is brown, flip the donut and cook the other side.  Too hot of oil will cook the outside too fast and it will be doughy inside, you want hot oil but not too hot, that’s why I used medium heat.  You could use an electric skillet to keep constant heat, set to 350 to 375 degrees.



When cooked on both sides use a slotted spoon or the utensil that come with a home fryer and remove the donuts.   Put directly into a bowl with 1 cup of sugar.  Using a spoon (remember the donut will be HOT) coat the donut with sugar.  When coated remove to a plate, I use a table knife to move the donut to the plate.  Cook the donut holes in the same manner. 

This is what I ended up with.




I find that having on the of the kids do the sugar part helps out a lot.  I don't recommend letting young kids help out though since the donuts are really hot as they go into the sugar.


Linking to:  

A Vision to Remember


Funky Junk Interiors


Tater Tots and Jello


Green Door Designs


Craft Envy


It's A Crafty Life

Creative Jewish Mom


I Heart Nap Time


Nifty Thrifty Things


Sister of the Wild West


The Tattered Tag


Cherished Treasures


The DIY Showoff


Flamingo Toes


Under the Table and Dreaming

Petite Hermine

Homemaker on a Dime
FEATURED ON:


Cherished Treasures”=

11 comments:

  1. I can remember making these as a kid! Haven't had them in years. I'm gonna be making these again soon now! Yummo!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made these in the while, but guess what I'm going to make tomorrow morning after seeing your post? My kids will thank you... :-) ~Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopping by from the Creative Hop from Homemaker on a Dime and saying, thanks for the recipe for these donuts. Looks easy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. found you from i heart naptime. i love to make donuts like this, but haven't in a while. looks like i'll need to, this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. found you from 11th Heaven Homemaker Monday and made these with my kids today - THANK YOU!! Now I've got to share on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really awesome post! Thanks for linking it up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! These look delicious!! I wish we had buscuits dough over here in Germany! ;)
    Thank you so much for sharing this @ {nifty thrifty sunday} last week!
    I can't wait to see more from you on Sunday!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I need to make donuts now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a great way to make a quick and easy doughnut. They look really good! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and sure hope to see you again real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  10. The donuts look fantastic. Kids always remember the fun times, so good to have them to look back on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My grandmother would put the sugar in a small paper sack. After taking one out of the oil she dropped it in the sack rolled the top and turning the bag upside down and then back up evenly coating the donuts. I finally got old enough to be the sack shaker!! Sometimes she would mix cinnamon in with the sugar. I sure miss her....

    ReplyDelete