Sunday, July 24, 2011

Homemade Spaghetti Sauce


Do you make your own spaghetti sauce?  Or are you a jar person?   I am 100% homemade sauce type of girl; I can not stand the stuff from a jar.   It’s my mom’s fault.  I grew up this homemade spaghetti sauce, no other recipe will do. This is what you need:




Ground Beef, Tomato Sauce, Sugar, Vinegar, Yellow Mustard, Chili Powder, Italian Season. 


Start by browning the hamburger.  Drain off the grease.  If you desire (we don’t) you can cook up some onions, green pepper and mushrooms at this point.  Put the hamburger back in the pot and salt and pepper to taste.



Add the tomato sauce. 


 Add the remaining ingredients. 
I usually measure out the white sugar, vinegar, yellow mustard, chili powder and Italian seasoning while the hamburger is browning, it’s easier than reaching for everything separately when it’s time to add them.



Stir to combine and let simmer over low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.  If you like a thicker sauce add cornstarch to get it to where you want it.


Serve.

This freezes very well, I usually make at least a double batch and then use half and freeze half for later. Mr. Manly Man freezes serving sizes, pasta and all, and takes it to work.    

Oh and dipping some French bread in the sauce as its simmering is highly recommended!

Here's the actual recipe:

Brown in skillet:

1/2 lb. hamburger
1 onion diced

Add:

1 can tomato sauce
1 Tbs. Chili Powder
1 Tbs. White Sugar
1 Tbs. Vinegar
1 Tbs. Yellow Mustard

Simmer and serve.

I recommend you make this recipe as is and then tweak it to your taste. I always use 2 tablespoons of chili powder, sugar, vinegar and mustard; and I add about 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning. 

I also omit the onions.  Usually I used a whole pound of hamburger, as Mr. Manly Man likes it better that way.  This is the sauce I used for spaghetti, lasagna and stuffed jumbo shells. 

8 comments:

  1. Hi there,

    I have a quick question about your site. Would you mind emailing me back when you have a minute @ christinajohnson126@gmail.com

    Thank you,
    Christina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never had mustard in spaghetti sauce, but I love mustard. I am intrigued ;-)

    Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I bet this tastes delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will have to give this one a try. It looks amazing, and every time we try to make sauce at home, it never quite has the bite or flavor we are accustomed to.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe sounds great! My husband insists on making his own sauce too, but I'm a Prego girl. Straight out of the jar, I can't tell the difference. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. There is nothing like a great Sauce to compliment the pasta and this looks like a great recipe! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you again real soon. Hope you are having a great week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Mmmm! I love homemade spaghetti sauce. Never had it with mustard before though. More the Merrier Monday will be open until Wednesday at midnight. I would love for you to stop by and link up your recipe. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete