Sunday, August 7, 2011

Custom Storage Boxes

I have found over the years that what I want in my house is not available retail or if it is, it's way expensive.  That's why I decided to make what I want.  Over the weekend I made some storage boxes for my bathroom (that is currently in the process of a redo).

I started with three wooden boxes from Hobby Lobby, the thin plywood kind.  I picking out some scrapbook paper and ribbon from my stash.


I decided on a paisley pattern for the smallest box.   I love the light blue back ground and brown paisleys.  



I used a blue and brown striped ribbon for the middle sized box, our new toothbrush holder.  I simply stapled the ribbon to the back of the box, snugly wrapped the box and stapled the other end on the back too.  It's my favorite. 



The third box got a white on silver diamond patterned paper and the lid a silver on white.  It's not a shiny silver and I really like the contrast between the lid and box.



So for less than $10.00 I  have two storage boxes and a toothbrush holder customized to my bathroom. I wonder how much I would hav spent retail?



Note:  I put a plastic solo cup down in the toothbrush holder box to catch any liquid that remains on the toothbrushes.  This will make clean up easy - just replace the cup.


FEATURED AT: 

Nothing But Country


LINKING TO:  Creative Jewish Mom  I Heart Nap Time Nifty Thrifty Things  Sister of the Wild West  The Tattered Tag   Cherished Treasures  The DIY Showoff  Flamingo Toes  Under the Table and Dreaming  The Girl Creative  Petite Hermine  http://craftomaniac.blogspot.com/2011/08/craftomaniac-monday-link-p-ar-ty-my.html  A Bowl Full of Lemons  R They All Yours All Things Fee Sew Chatty  Singing Three Little Birds  Mad in Crafts  Ninth Street Notions  Crafts Keep Me Sane  Life Made Lovely  Making the World Cuter  Boogie Board Cottage Sumo's Sweet Stuff   Skip To My Lou  It's So Very Cheri  C.R.A.F.T. Craft - O - maniac Embellishing Life  Sew Can Do  Polly Want a Crafter  Homemaker on a Dime  THe Girl Creative   Its a Blog Party  Me Making Do  Pinkapotamus  Organize with Sandy  http://todayscreativeblog.net/  A Stroll Thru Life  Funky Polka Dot Giraffe  Sassy Sites  Run with Glitter  Ladybug Blessings Type A Decorating  Hope Studios  Young Nester  Sugar Bee Crafts  Silly Little Sparrow  Tip Junkie  All Things Related  The Blackberry Vine  I'm Topsy Turvy  A Diamond in the Stuff Tuesday Timeout   Tuesday Glam Party Nothing But Country rafty Confessions http://savvysouthernstyle.blogspot.com/2011/08/wow-us-wednesdays-26.html  http://www.thethriftyhome.com/  Ginger Snap Crafts  Whatever Wednesday  Sugar & Dots  Laugh Love and Craft My Girlish Whims  Rook No 17 Creations by Kara Tearose Home  Domestically Speaking  Organize Your Stuff Now  Someday Crafts  il Luna Sew Much Ado  Goodbye City Hello Suburbs   Twin Dragonfly Designs  Passionatley Artistic  Polka Dots on Parade   Women who do it all


35 comments:

  1. Love these colors - sweet project!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous little boxes! Great work!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. how sweet love the decorative boxes I can think of many uses for them

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are so cute. I love the middle one with the ribbon. If you get a chance I would love you to link your boxes up to More the Merrier Monday. It starts tonight and lasts through Wednesday. See you there. http://diyhshp.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a frugal and beautiful addition this would be to anyone's bath. Thanks for sharing on Show-Me-How.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute project. Love your color choices.
    I followed you over from ALLTHINGSFEE.
    Hugs
    Brenda
    I would be honored if you came to see my blog here

    ReplyDelete
  7. This post made me smile. Thanks for inspiring me and many others :) Really appreciate that you linked up at the Creative Bloggers' Party & Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sweet! Love the toothbrush holder! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job. I would love for you to link up to my Sizzle into Summer party that opens tonight at 8pm EST. Hope to see you then.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These are awesome! I would love it if you linked up to my Tuesday Confessional link party going on now. There is also a great giveaway! http://www.craftyconfessions.com/2011/08/tuesday-confessional-link-party-and.html
    I hope to see you soon!
    ~Macy

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with the very first sentence of this post. Even I find it difficult to find stuff of my liking in stores. You did a great job with thoses boxes.

    I am hosting my first link-up party - Tea Time Thursdays @Kreative Korner. Would love to see some of your awesome posts there. Hope to see you!

    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/celebrating-one-party-time.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. Really cute idea! The paisley is definitely my favorite. ;)

    Thanks for linking to the party this week.

    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. very nice! thanks so much for sharing on Craft Schooling Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Very nice! I remember how long it took me to find bathroom stuff I liked. Following from the creative Hop. Hope you would stop by and follow back. tootsabellarose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for linking. The party for this week - Tea Time Thursdays @ Kreative Korner - is on. Hope to see you there with latest posts.
    http://tanyaanurag.blogspot.com/2011/08/tea-time-thursdays-2-and-features.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cute idea! That is so thrifty! I have a party going on over at my blog if you want to join! I'd love to have you! Check it out under the "Stache Party" page on my blog: mylilpumpkinpatch.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the ribbon box, too! And great idea to put the cup down inside.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that if you want it and can't find it, you make it! :) Your boxes are too pretty too! Thanks for sharing on Fancy This Fridays!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. aww these are so cute! I love the papers you used!

    Thanks for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!

    ReplyDelete
  20. These boxes turned out super cute! I am going to try something similar for some craft room organization. Thanks for the inspiration! I am a new follower and would love for you to link up at my Savvy HomeMade blog party at http://www.homesavvyatoz.com/2011/08/14/blog-party-3/

    I look forward to blogging with you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. So clever! Thanks for linking to the Tuesday To Do Party!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute, cute, cute! Thank you so much for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  23. The boxes looks great! A fantastic way to brighten up a room, useful, and designed for what you want. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  24. what a fun way to personalize your space! thanks for sharing this at my tip-toe thru tuesday party! hope to see you again this week!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your boxes came out so beautifully!

    Thank you for sharing your creativity at Rook No. 17!

    Have a great week!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  26. These look great! Thanks for linking to Home Sweet Home!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  27. The boxes turned out so cute! Thank you for sharing your project at the Open House party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  28. Awesome, project! I need to try this! Thank you so much for linking up with the frog last week. I really appreciate it!
    HUGS~
    Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thank you so much for linking up your storage boxes at Savvy HomeMade Monday. I hope you will party again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love this idea! So cute and so much more affordable than the ones you can buy at the store.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just love your blog! You are so creative and I'm thankful you share it with everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is so cute! The only thing is for the toothbrush holder I would have kept the lid on it and drilled out holes for each toothbrush. then they wouldn't hang out the side. I think I might try this for craft and living room storage. Thank you for this fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete